Monday 26 March 2012

Restaurant Review: Sophie's Steakhouse


So my parents were over visiting my sister and I this weekend and being a family of foodies, this meant a lot of delicious food in some really nice restaurants.

They arrived on Thursday evening, and we went to Sophie's Steakhouse in Chelsea (there is also one in Covent Garden). As the name suggests, it's a steakhouse, with a no reservations policy and a casual atmosphere. The decor is simple but with a nice, relaxed ambiance. We arrived at 7.30pm and got a table immediately, but by 8.00pm the place was jammed. My sister is a regular here, and has regularly been left waiting up to a couple of hours so it's worth heading early, or going on a weeknight to avoid queues.




We had to wait awhile for my sister, so we ordered a bottle of wine and perused over the menu. The wait staff were lovely and didn't pressure us to order.

None of the starters appealed to me particularly, but I was absolutely starving at this point so I ordered scallops with pancetta and pea puree. It was tasty but nothing special. The same goes for the prawn cocktail my Dad ordered.

The main courses were more of a success. My Mum originally wanted the roast chicken special, but unfortunately almost all of the specials were sold out- not ideal for 8pm on a Thursday night. In teh end, we all ended up getting steak (always a safe option in a steakhouse!). My sister and Mum both had the 10oz rib eye steak (£21.50), which was delicious, although slightly overdone (verging on the medium side of the medium-rare they had both requested). My Dad and I shared the 24oz Cote de Boeuf (£36.50). Oddly, this wasn't advertised as being for two people but was absolutely massive and I can't imagine how anyone could finish it alone. Perhaps they were trying to encourage people to spend more on individual steaks or to opt for the £54.95 20oz Chateaubriand (which was advertised for two).
The steak was delicious, perfectly accompanied by bernaise sauce, thick cut chips and a simple side salad.

All in all, a really delicious, reasonably priced place for a casual meal, with a great buzz. Just make sure you order a steak!

http://www.sophiessteakhouse.co.uk/

No comments:

Post a Comment